Olive stuffed peppers
- 4 bell peppers
- 150 grams red lentils
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 400 grams tinned chopped tomatoes
- 350 grams black pitted olives in brine, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- a good dash of tabasco
- olive oil
- Wash the lentils and boil in unsalted water until tender.
- In a little olive oil, fry the onion gently until soft. Add the
garlic and continue to fry for a minute or two.
- Drain the lentils and add to the pan.
- Add the remainder of the stuffing ingredients and season generously.
Cook, stirring frequently, until quite thick.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and remove the seeds. Fill with the
stuffing and replace the tops of the peppers as lids.
- Bake for 30 minutes at gas mark 6.
Serve these peppers with a salad and good, crusty bread.
Try to find peppers that will stand unsupported, so that they don't
fall over in the oven. I think the sweeter red or yellow peppers are
best suited to this dish.