- 250 grams yellow split peas, soaked as directed
- 850 grams turkey thigh, diced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 400 grams tinned chopped tomatoes
- 400 ml chicken stock
- vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 5 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Rinse the split peas and boil them for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a heavy ovenproof dish, fry the onion and seeds in a
little oil for about 5 minutes until they start to soften, then add the
garlic for a minute, and then the turkey.
- When the turkey has browned, add the remaining ingredients and
season to taste.
- Cover, and cook in a very low oven for two hours, until the turkey and
split peas are tender and the sauce has thickened.
As you can see in the picture, I served this with Sag Paneer,
Cucumber Raita and boiled rice, although it would be fine with simply
boiled rice and a good dollop of mango chutney.