- 1 bulb fennel (leaves removed and reserved and chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- butter or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- double cream (optional)
- In a large pan, sweat the onions in the butter/oil for five minutes.
- Add the fennel and galic and sweat gently for a further five minutes.
- Pour on the stock, so that it just covers the vegetables, and add the
tarragon and turmeric. Season to taste.
- Simmer gently for half an hour, until the fennel is tender.
- Remove the soup from the heat and liquidise into a smooth thick soup.
Fortify with a little cream, if desired.
- Serve garnished with the reserved fennel leaves.